Spinach & 4 Cheese Cannelloni Recipe
“This was a delightfully tasty colon clogging dish. It was fantastic going in one end but not so great at the other” – The Big J
Stuffed with spinach, ricotta and parmesan, these cannelloni tubes are covered in a vibrant tomato sauce and topped with tasty, parmesan and fresh, crumbled mozzarella cheese.
Alright, not the most appealing image I know but we were just WAY too excited to get this one in our tummy’s while it was still hot! And between The Big J, our dinner guest and myself, there were zero leftovers on this one. I think that I could have made double the amount and the boys would have gone back for more…
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 300g fresh baby spinach, thoroughly washed
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- cannelloni tubes
- 100g fresh mozzarella cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- extra 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200ºc.
- Steam spinach until wilted then set aside to cool.
- To make the tomato sauce, combine the olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, oregano with half the basil in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir through remaining basil.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, ricotta and parmesan cheese with the nutmeg. When well combined stuff into the cannelloni tubes. I used a combination of a teaspoon and my fingers but you can also use a piping bag which is neater. If you’re like me though, you’ll probably quite enjoy licking your fingers at the end .
- Pour half the tomato sauce into a large, greased flat bottomed dish, then layer with stuffed cannelloni tubes. Make sure your pan is large enough to only create one layer.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top. Combine the grated tasty and extra parmesan cheeses with some seasoning then spread evenly over the top before crumbling the mozzarella over this. Put in oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes – the top should be golden and bubbling. Test with a skewer to see if the pasta is cooked through.
- Like us, you can eat this Spinach & Four Cheese Cannelloni on it’s own, or you can be a bit more mature and enjoy it with a green salad…